Tuesday, March 15, 2011

THIS WEEK'S QUINOA SALAD

Have I told you how much I love quinoa? This past weekend, I was visiting family and didn't have my daily quinoa and I really missed it. I didn't sleep as well and I felt sluggish. Time to get back at it. This weeks quinoa recipe is protein-rich. It incorporates lentils and chickpeas, which have plenty of fiber and are thought to lower cholesterol and help balance blood sugar levels.

Quinoa Chickpea and Lentil Salad


3 cups water
1 cup lentils
1 cup quinoa
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup pecans, or walnuts, toasted
3 tbsp fresh parsley
1/2 apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 minced garlic
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper

Bring the water to a boil and add lentils. Reduce to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. Add quinoa and cook 10 minutes more. Allow to sit 4 minutes off burner. Drain any remaining water. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.

Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and add red peppers, onion, parsley and nuts. Toss with dressing.

1 comment:

  1. i made the quinoa salad tonight, but this new one looks really good with a bit more flavor of the garlic and green onion. I will have to try it tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete